SC - dutch ovens

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Mar 23 20:15:45 PST 2000

At 10:29 AM -0500 3/23/00, Elaine Koogler wrote:
>This is a good point, and is the way I go as well.  I read through
>several period
>cookbooks, find things that look like they would work with the way I
>plan to do
>desserts (dessert table or serving it as I have the rest of the
>feast), etc.  However,
>I add one additional step.  Maybe I'm just nervous about how things
>might turn out,
>but I always try each recipe out before I serve it in a feast.  I've
>found that the
>folks in my barony love the idea of serving as culinary "guinea pigs" when I'm
>experimenting!

We like to add one further step--doing the whole feast in miniature,
as a dinner for one table's worth of people. Invite the autocrat, the
other cooks, and at least one person with conservative tastes in
food. That gives you:

Possible advance warning of bottlenecks you hadn't thought of

A rough measure of whether you are making much too much of some
things and too little of others

Evidence on how the dishes fit together

A pleasant evening.

David/Cariadoc