SC - Mediaeval cookbooks to begin with

Aldyth@aol.com Aldyth at aol.com
Fri Mar 24 09:04:51 PST 2000

- ------------APFM25246630

Like fun the list isn't normally this fractious - I was here for the Lady Seaton's Project debate (and even added to it a little)and have heard ALL about cuskynoles!

BTW, this Gwynydd (who chose the name at the my first event before I knew the faintest thing about registering names and will probably be changing it before I register it) is definitely female.  Mind you, I am no newcomer to the gender confusion caused by names!  Until I put a hyphen between my first and middle names I was plain Lee and this caused much confusion - even to the extent of being presented (long story - don't ask why!) to the Governer General as "he", to the confusion of the poor man introducing me!

Gwynydd of Culloden

At 2000-03-25 01:57:04.062000,
Christina Nevin (cnevin at caci.co.uk) wrote:
> 	I do have a grip. I was merely trying to point out that the poster
> said they
> 	already had some 'coffee table' books such as Pleyn Delyt and The
> Medieval
> 	Kitchen. which the poster has since confirmed.
> 	Ras
>
> Ras, somehow you have confused my answer with the original poster's
> response.  She/He (sorry, I can't tell from the name, my Welsh is
> poor) is
> Gwynydd of Culloden, not Lucretzia (or cnevin at caci.co.uk), and
> originally
> said
>
> "BTW, on a similar subject - I have no medieval cookbooks in my
> oversized
> cookbook collection.  Could the good gentles on this list put
> forward their
> ideas for a good (and still available!) first cookbook - I only
> read English
> and am by no means ready to start redacting my own recipes.  I
> have a
> particular interest in confectionery, and do not do pastry (at
> all! ever! I
> have been known to wreck pre-made, pre-rolled pastry, and anyway I
> don't
> presently have a working oven - and probably won't for at least 6
> months!)"
>
> Gwynydd does not have any medieval cookbooks.
>
> Please note the
> "AM BY NO MEANS READY TO START REDACTING MY OWN RECIPES"
>
> Personally I want to encourage Gwynydd into medieval cooking, and
> eventually
> redacting recipes on her/his own.
> There is nothing more creatively satisfying (I feel) than having
> people come
> up to you after a dinner/feast and tell you that <supply name>
> dish was
> divine, could they have the exact recipe, and then handing them
> your
> redaction.
>
> HOWEVER Gwynydd has said she/he ISN'T ready for that yet - and so
> I (and
> others) have given our recommendations for cookbooks which include
> original
> sources as well as redactions and foodways information that will
> help them
> understand and recreate medieval cuisine.
>
> Pleyn Delyt and _especially_ The Medieval Kitchen are NOT
> coffeetable books
> and I'm offended you could say that - that's a rather poorly
> disguised slur
> at the rest of the list's judgment. I (and others) CAN tell the
> difference
> between a coffeetable book and a well-written, academically sound
> book - I
> have the Masters degree to prove it (albeit in Egyptology) - and
> if you have
> any further doubts, check out my booklist on my personal website.
>
> My apologies for the sharp reply - I have no desire to engage in
> [...]

 Send Amazing Cards FREE by e-mail with
 FREE e-Gift and FREE decoration:
 www.mini-card.com/index.asp?referer=fm1
 Get your own free email account at
 http://www.freemail.com.au/ now part of the
 Webuser.com.au independent portal. Visit at…
 http://www.webuser.com.au
- ------------APFM25246630--