SC - Tablemanners query

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at algonet.se
Fri Mar 24 09:08:41 PST 2000

Christina Nevin wrote:

>         I had a tablemate at the last event feast I was at, who I think was
>         bit thrown by my eating macrows one at a time with my fingers. She
>         commented, "I always thought there was no way in the world to eat
>         spaghetti with your hands and make it look elegant." Of course I
> offered
>         to share my scented fingerbowl with her, as any gentleman ought
>         to...strange to say, she politely declined.
>
>         Adamantius
>
> Laff! But seriously...
> Did you bring the fingerbowl with you?
> Were you eating a la Roman?
> And how exactly is that different from medieval table manners?

Yes, I did. I was eating in my best attempt at Romanized barbarian, in
that I was seated in a chair and not reclining. I kept my left hand
decently hidden, cut up my food with my knife (having no slave handy),
and ate with the fingers of my right hand, rinsing them frequently in my
rosewater-scented fingerbowl, and occasionally using my spoon. I may
have spoiled the effect by rising to carve the chickens (which, BTW,
were of the grape-and-garlic-filled variety and extremely tasty), which
required the use of both hands, briefly.

It occurs to me that when reclining on a dining couch, a good Roman
would prop himself up on his left elbow, and use his right hand to eat.
I wonder if that's connected to the whole "don't eat with your left
hand" thing?

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy