SC - Grains of Paradise - question for Aussies

Lorix lorix at trump.net.au
Fri Mar 24 18:06:53 PST 2000

In a message dated 3/25/2000 4:58:43 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
Gwynydd_of_Culloden at freemail.com.au writes:

<<
 How should I make corn bread? >>

Now you have opened another can of worms, similar to the "cusky" debate.  We
had this discussion a year or two ago on the list.  The variations are
endless, but here are two basic recipes.
notes:  You want to use a light, fluffy Southern brand of corn meal (Jim
Dandy)and a Southern brand of flour made from softer wheat. (Martha White or
Adluh)

Here's my father's recipe for cornbread:

2 Tablespoons oil
2 cups yellow corn meal *
1 cup flour *
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 large egg, beaten
1 cup (8 oz.) buttermilk
1/3 cup oil
Heat oven to 400 F.  Place 2 Tbs. oil in large cast iron frying pan and place
in oven to preheat.   Mix dry ingredients.  Make a well, then pour in liquids
and stir briefly, just until all ingredients are moistened.  Pour into
preheated pan and place in oven.   and bake 45 minutes, or until a straw
placed in the center comes out clean.

This makes a cake-like round pone.

My Mother's recipe:

1 cup yellow corn meal *
2 teaspoons baking soda*
1 tsp salt
1 large egg, beaten
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 Tablespoons oil.
oil for frying
Mix first six ingredients together quickly.  Preheat a medium cast iron
frying pan on the stove top at med-high heat with a bit of oil.  Pour batter
into pan 1/2 cup at a time.  Cook until top of batter is covered in small
bubbles, then turn and cook until bottom is browned.  This makes a pancake
like pone.

Both of these are excellent with a glass of cold, fresh milk or buttermilk.
They also make a good complement for greens or peas or beans cooked the "soul
food" way with pork seasoning.

Mordonna the Cook,
SunDragon's Western Reaches
Atenveldt