SC - don't cringe too bad....

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Mar 25 21:26:29 PST 2000

And speaking earlier about corn bread and molasses...   :-)
  I found this in my American Heritage Cookbook:

Anadama Bread -  A story that is repeated in Massachusetts in the 19th
century was of the fisherman who became enraged at his wife.  All she gave
him for dinner was corn meal and molasses - day after day.  One night, when
he could no longer control his anger, he tossed flour and yeast into the corn
meal and molasses, put it all in the oven, and sat down later to eat a loaf
of the bread that had no name, mumbling "Anna, damn her!"

The recipe that follows is:

1/2 cup corn meal
3 Tbsp shorterning
1/4 cup molasses
2 tsp salt
3/4 cup boiling water
1 package active dry yeast or 1 cake compressed
1/4 cup warm water
1 egg, beaten
3 cups sifted all-purpose flour

Combine corn meal, shortening, molasses, salt and boiling water in a large
bowl.  Let stand until lukewarm.  Sprinkle yeast over the 1/4 cup warm water
to dissolve, then stir yeast, egg and HALF of the flour into the corn
mixture.  Beat vigorously.  Stir in remaining flour and mix thoroughly until
dough forms a soft ball.  Use your hand if it seems easier.  Transfer to a
greased load pan, cover with a cloth, and set in a warm place until dough
reaches 1 inch above the loaf pan. Sprinkle top with a little corn meal and
salt.  Bake in a preheated 350 degree F. oven for 50-66 minutes.  Cool before
slicing.

Rayne

In a message dated 3/25/00 10:49:50 PM Central Standard Time,