SC - Spoon bread OOP - recipe

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Mar 25 21:41:56 PST 2000

>From my Cookbook of the Night (American Heritage....) Here is the recipe for
Spoon bread.  It is so short I didn't send it privately in case anyone has a
better/different/more modern one:

Spoon Bread:

5 Tbsp Butter
1 cup water-ground corn meal   (I have no idea about the "water-ground" part)
1 tsp salt
2 cups boiling water
1 cup cold milk
4 eggs

Heat oven to 425 degrees F.  Put butter in a medium-sized earthenware or
glass baking dish and place in oven to melt while you prepare the batter.
Combine corn meal and salt in a mixing bowl and stir in boiling water until
smooth.  Let stand several minutes, then stir in milk.  Add the eggs, one at
a time, beating hard after each addition.  Stir in melted butter last of all.
 Pout batter into the hot baking dish and bake 25-30 minutes.  Serve hot,
right from the baking dish, with plenty of extra butter.

Yours,
Rayne

In a message dated 3/25/00 11:10:38 PM Central Standard Time,