SC - don't cringe too bad....

Sun Mar 26 07:47:54 PST 2000

In a message dated 3/26/2000 7:10:19 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
RichSCA at aol.com writes:

<<
 Pork BBQ????  I thought BBQ was made with Beef  (got room under that rock?)

In Southern Atlantia they consider anything cooked over coals with a sauce as
BBQ.  Thus: one must be specific when one asks for BBQ.  There is BBQ pork,
BBQ chicken, BBQ beef, BBQ goat, BBQ beans.............
The mustard sauce my cousin speaks of has a mustard base rather than a
ketchup base.  Basic recipe is mustard, butter, vinegar, sugar, with a bit of
ketchup.  I always used brown sugar and added garlic and tobasco.  Others add
finely diced onion, or Worcestershire sauce, or whatever their favorite
savory seasoning is.
It is always added only after cooking the meat or in the very end stages of
cooking.  I find it especially good on Chicken, and good on pork, but I'd
rather have a traditional tomato based sauce on beef.

Garlicky Mustard BBQ Sauce ala Pat

1 quart French's salad mustard (Yes, the brand does make a difference in this
case)
4 Tablespoons butter (real butter, if you please)
4 Tablespoons cider vinegar (DON'T use white distilled vinegar)
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
4 Tablespoons Heinz ketchup
1 Tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon red Tobasco (or to taste, I usually add more.  Or add four times
as much Louisiana style hot sauce)

Over low heat, stir all ingredients until butter is melted and sauce is just
beginning to simmer.  Do not boil, but keep warm.  Dip cooked meat in sauce
just prior to serving.

Mordonna the Cook,
SunDragon's Western Reaches
Atenveldt