SC - Asparagus anyone??

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Mar 27 23:12:17 PST 2000

Guenevere asked:
> Lavender: Does anyone know when the first documented use of lavendar as an
> ingredient occurred, and as a side note, does anyone know of an affordable
> source for it? (Dean and Deluca's is the only one I know and it is
> unnecessarily expensive.)

You might want to check this file in the PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES section
of my Florilegium:
lavender-msg      (21K) 12/ 2/99    Period use of Lavender in food and elsewhere

There is a mention in the file that 1568 is the first record of
Lavender being cultivated in England. I think it gives a recipe
using it in food in 1660 something.

Perhaps some of the referances given will also be of use.

Stefan
  (who does eat at McDonald's occasionally and used a cornbread mix,
which included peppers, yesterday. Had it not been so old, maybe it
would have worked better. :-) )
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net