SC - olives

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Mar 30 03:45:30 PST 2000

	And, is Demerara the sugar with the biggest crystals?  Is it period?
	Elysant

>From what I've seen, in the UK and back in the Antipodes, the largest sugar
crystals are Coffee Crystals, which you can only get Down Under AFAIK.
They're a lighter brown and larger size than Demerara.
I was told by one of the people at Chelsea Sugar Works (where my dad worked
for 19 years) they were created as a special item to celebrate Queen Mary's
visit to NZ, and were so popular the refinery continued to produce them
afterwards. Whether they were talking about the person or the ship I was
unsure (I was about 12 at the time)!
As the major difference in sugar color and crystal size is a matter of the
amount of refinement used to remove impurities and the length of time you
allow for crystallization, it's perfectly possible (but completely
unproveable) that Demerara could have been found 'in period' but I would say
not as a deliberate 'type' of sugar such as we have nowadays.
>From reading, it appears the level of refinement was what mattered then -
i.e. finest white sugar. Although Le Menagier specifies powdered sugar for
one recipe, and for some recipes in other cookbooks the sugar is pounded 'as
small as possible' in a mortar.
I must admit, oddly enough, Coffee Crystals are one of those day-to-day
things I really miss about NZ - the coffee sugar here looks weeny in
comparison!  :-)

Al Servizio Vostro, e del Sogno
Lucrezia

Lady Lucrezia-Isabella di Freccia   |  mka Tina Nevin
Thamesreach Shire, The Isles, Drachenwald | London, UK
thorngrove at geocities.com | http://www.geocities.com/~thorngrove
"There is no doubt that great leaders prefer hard drinkers to good
versifiers" - Aretino, 1536

This electronic message contains information from CACI International Inc or
subsidiary companies, which may be confidential, proprietary,
privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.  The information is
intended to be used solely by the recipient(s) named above.  If you are not
an intended recipient, be aware that any review, disclosure, copying,
distribution or use of this transmission or its contents is prohibited.  If
you have received this transmission in error, please notify us immediately
at postmaster at caci.co.uk

Viruses: Although we have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail and
attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good
computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.