SC - Re: A Zambone (Ice cleaning machine)

VonGraph vongraph at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 30 08:58:48 PST 2000

At 10:42 PM -0500 3/29/00, Tollhase1 at aol.com wrote:
>First let me apologize if this message is a repeat.  I am not sure if my
>system lost my message before it was went out.
>
>A Spanish Instructor whom has started helping me translate a period Spanish
>cookbook would like some information on how to publish a translated cookbook.
>  I have mentioned the possibility of a small market among SCA people.
>
>Could any of you that have published care to share with her how to go about
>it and what it expect.  I may be helping with the redaction's and any artwork.

My own experience isn't very helpful if he is interested in making
money, but might be if he only wants to spread his work.

The Miscellany has gone through eight editions over about thirteen
years, and sold about two thousand copies (estimate). I set my
wholesale price roughly equal to printing cost, however, so I'm not
making any money on it, beyond payment for my time and trouble
filling retail orders.

The mechanics of self-publishing are amazingly easy nowadays. I go to
my local giant business supplies store, which has a large copying
operation attached, hand them my masters, explain what I want done
with them, and get back boxes full of spiral bound books.  I even got
them to give me a special price break as a large customer, which gets
copying below 3 cents a page.

I sell either directly, or occasionally in bulk to an SCA retailer
(especially for Pennsic) and, most recently, to the stock clerk (I've
also sold to one non-SCA reseller).

I have thought about doing a commercially published medieval cookbook
(working title _How to Mylke an Almond_), but haven't done anything
about it, aside from mentioning the project to the agents who handled
one of my commercial books (mundanely I'm an academic economist who,
among other things, writes books).

At this point, however, if I was starting out, I would probably do a
web site instead of a book. It is less work to do and more accessible.

Hope that helps.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/