SC - new book

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Thu Mar 30 13:53:44 PST 2000

At 12:12 PM -0500 3/30/00, Lurking Girl wrote:
>colette waters wrote:
>  > Can this dish be made ahead and frozen?  If so what is the best way to
>  > reheat?
>
>For last Pennsic, I made a bunch of Icelandic chickens (well, Icelandic
>game hens) ahead of time and then froze them.  They were wrapped in foil,
>and I just plunked them into the firepit which was not quite coals but
>was past the leaping-flame stage.  (It was my first open fire cookery
>experiment.)  Some had partially thawed by that time, some had not.
>The partially-thawed ones took, I think, a couple hours.
>
>Vika
>who tried using barley flour and found it a heck of a lot harder to work with

You don't explain the final comment. If you were using barley flour
because you thought it was what they would have in Iceland, it may be
worth pointing out that the recipe isn't really Icelandic. It is
called that because the source I found it in was a recipe collection
in an Icelandic medical miscellany. But it turns out that that is one
of several known daughter manuscripts of a lost original, and Rudolf
Grewe, who did a good deal of work on the subject, concluded that
although all the surviving daughter manuscripts are from northern
Europe, the original was from southern Europe.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/