SC - saffron

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Mar 31 05:24:15 PST 2000

margali wrote:

> CAtch 22, Joseph Heller
> Major Major Major Major, to be correct.
> margali
> >>>
> Major Major (who's rank in the military made him "Major Major Major"

This leads me to wonder how many of these accounts are genuine, and not
what we've come to call Urban Legend (even if the setting is by no means
urban; I think Modern Legend is more appropriate). Which is not to say
we all consort with a bunch of liars, but we may perhaps be hearing
people say something like, "I heard about a guy who supposedly did Thing
X," and interpret it as "I know a guy," or "My friend," "did Thing X."
I've always been fascinated by this stuff, but it also demonstrates the
power of the grapevine method of documentation we sometimes use in the SCA.

Often we encounter people, even on the cooks' list, who may have heard
something from someone in their past that such-and-such is the case, and
that a contemporary account exists in, they believe, Sir Thomas
Blowspout's Sourcus Genericus, 15th century. We read this and sometimes
what enters our brains is that such-and-such is documented by primary
source as 15th century English, when it is, in fact, tertiary and
dubious, or at least unconfirmed.

Of course, my friend really _did_ have a student named Urinal Myass! As
far as I know... ;  ) .

Adamantius, whose sister, Kathleen M. Troy, _claims_ to have taught a
student named Latrina
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com