Zabaglione - was, Re: SC - Book Review WAS Verjus

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Mar 31 05:32:27 PST 2000

Christine A Seelye-King wrote:

> > troy at asan.com
> > writes:
> >
> > > or safflower stamens, sometimes used in places like Mexico as a
> reddish-yellow food coloring, are known in  Spanish as azafran. Yesterday
> I saw a package of Sazon Goya (don't ask!) which said on the label, con
> azafran e culantro.  The ingredients list indicates safflower, not
> saffron.
>
>         The package of saffron I just finished using up was labeled Azafran,
> from Spain, and it was DEFINITELY saffron.  Trust me, I can tell.
>         Christianna

Of course I trust you, but that's the point. The word is the same for
both. In Latin America, there's been some equivocation, and it's no more
a matter of false advertising to call safflower azafran than it for some
Americans who call margarine "butter" or garlic salt or garlic powder
"garlic". To them, they're calling the item by a generic term which
seems to represent the class of items to which their particular item
belongs. Now, when a manufacturer or importer puts this on a label,
there could be a problem, but I don't think the BoD of Goya Foods Intl
sits around saying, "Now, how can we rip off those ignorant gringoes? I know..."

Well, okay, maybe they do... ;  ) .

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy