SC - Perspectives on Recipe Adaptation (was: ALCOHOL IN FOOD)

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Mar 2 17:33:18 PST 2000

At 4:41 PM -0500 3/2/00, LadyPDC at aol.com wrote:

>Religious grounds set aside just for a moment.>>>  An effective,
>non-confrontational method of achieving your end goal here would be to state
>that, in addition to mushrooms, you are allergic to the yeasts and cultures
>found in alcoholic beverages.  It is well known that yeasts and cultures stay
>allergenic even after high heat.

Do you really want to recommend lying to people as a way of getting
what you want?   I don't like the taste of saffron, and am a fairly
prominent person in the SCA. It is at least possible that, in some
contexts, if I told the cooks that I was allergic to saffron they
would be willing to make up a special portion for me without it.
Should I do that?

Note also that if people falsely claim to have allergies in order to
get their food the way they want it, whether for reasons of religion
or taste, cooks are going to become suspicious of such claims.
Indeed, I already am; while I have no doubt that some people really
are deathly allergic to some things, I suspect that a considerable
fraction of such claims are either bogus or greatly exaggerated. If
cooks become sufficiently suspicious of such claims, they may stop
bothering to pay attention to them, which could have serious
consequences when the claims happen to be true.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/