SC - Chicory in coffee - OOT

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 6 08:31:32 PST 2000

>  > Mordonna22 at aol.com wrote:
>  > > That's CHICHORY, and it can be found today in New Orleans style
>coffees, such
>  > > as Luzianne or French Market.  Gives the coffee a real caffeine kick.

I don't believe there's any caffeine in chicory. But it's bitter - i
think it's used as a "coffee extender".

"James F. Johnson" wrote:
>  > The Continental French put chicory in their ground coffee as an extender
>>  (IIRC, during WWII shortages). I was never sure if Louisiana developed
>>  that independently, or got it from the French. I put chicory in my
>  > coffee at home. Gives it a nice bite, as well. Sometimes cardamom.

Cardomom is good (both Scandinavian and Near Eastern). Apparently the
Yemeni also add ginger.

'Lainie wrote:
>Hmm. I remember this stuff in the mid-late 70's, called 'Sunrise' that
>was billed as a sort-of coffee- lower caffeine than normal, though more
>than decaf, and supposedly 'mellowed' by the addition of chichory. My
>folks drank it for quite awhile. Anyone else remember it?

Oh, yes. That was because there was, hmmm, either a coffee shortage
or a coffee embargo. I think it was a shortage - something about the
Brazilian crop, IIRC.

So "they" came up with that 'Sunrise' c#$%p. The "lower caffeine" bit
was just to cover for the fact that the usual low quality coffee
beans that go into commercial canned coffee were either unavailable
or too expensive.

Anahita al-shazhiyya
coffee snob