What's with the fried chicken? (was RE: SC - Chicken in Milk & Honey FOR LAURENE)

Liam Fisher macdairi at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 8 12:55:51 PST 2000

>We have now had two "redactions" of Douce Ame given on this list, one
>earlier by someone here who is new to period cooking, this one >from  a
>published book. Both of them start by frying the chicken. But >the recipe
>is perfectly clear--"take capons half yrosted and smyte >hem  on pecys."
>Not only does it say to roast not to fry, it is clear >that you cook them
>and then cut them up, which is hard to do when you >are frying chicken.

Probably extending the roasted to just mean cooked, and frying is the the
most familiar way to cook chicken. Hey it could be worse, they could be
reducing the amount of liquid and forming a tight sauce and serving it on a
bun with sesame seeds...hmm....honey-herb chicken barbque.

>Is there some deep, hidden compulsion in modern day Americans to fry
>chickens, whatever the recipe says?

Yes.  Hidden deep with in the American psyche is the irrepressible urge to
boil innocent creatures in oil. se my previous statement.  People tend to go
to the familiar and known method as a first choice.

>Recipe: Wrap the chicken in the dough and bake it in the oven like brede
>
>Redaction: Cover the chicken in bread crumbs, and deep fry.

Breaded chicken cutlets.  Don't forget to serve it on a bun.

>Recipe: Take a chicken Yrosted, dress it in the skin of a pheasant,
>and serve it forth as if for peacock at a great house.
>
>Redaction:
>
>Ingredients:
>
>1 pheasant skin
>'
>1 seven pieces order from Kentucky Fried Chicken, extra crispy

>Use mashed potatoes from the order to stick together fried chicken
>into shape of a partridge, and insert in skin. Serve.
>
>I can see it now.

The only mistake is assuming you'll get real chicken in your order, the
easier redaction is

(2) boxes 20 chicken mcnuggets (still possibly not real chicken)
(2) packages of pre-made mashed potatos
(1) tub of gravy

Artfully arrange the nuggets and potatos to form an almost realistic
shape of a pheasant and dress in the skin.  Serve with a large coke
and a smile.  This is best served while earing something that you
can get gravy stains out of easily.

Now for the serious part of this whole thing, would it be spiut roasted
chicken or pot (oven) roasted chicken?  They taste different.

Later...

Cadoc
Cadoc MacDairi, Mountain Confederation, ACG

"Let me say Pepsi Generation,
a few lines of misinformation.
Watch your money flow away oh so quick.
To kill yourself properly Coke is it....."

     "White Slavery" -- Type O Negative