Daylilies (Was SC - Birthdays and Daffy Dills)

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sat Mar 18 20:16:12 PST 2000

In a message dated 3/18/00 1:50:25 AM Eastern Standard Time,
ringofkings at mindspring.com writes:

<< I can't imagine your mystery flower being anything but a member
 of the genus Hemerocallis, >>

OK. The flower seems to be daylily as perceived by the majority of responses
to the somewhat cryptic description as opposed to crocus. To be sure, could
the original poster describe the length of the stem, whether it had more than
one bloom or bud to a stem and if it is blooming now (location would be
desirable) what is the approximate season in your location. The only thing
that even remotely resembles the flower as described, in my part of the world
at this time (Northcentral PA), is a crocus. They are not edible. Spring
blooming crocuses are poisonous and only 1 fall blooming species (e.g., the
saffron crocus) is edible SFAIK.

Also, the daylily does not taste like 'lettuce' but rather its taste more
closely resembles a mild corn flavor.

Ras