SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #2049

ChannonM at aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Sun Mar 26 09:46:28 PST 2000

In a message dated 3/24/00 7:22:08 PM Eastern Standard Time,
owner-sca-cooks at ansteorra.org writes:

<<  I'm wondering who else here has actually used either
 a pitcher of water poured over diners hands before a meal (as is done
 at Passover) or finger bowls after the meal and what, if anything,
 you've scented the water with. >>

I just did feast for 150, the populace were give bowls with paper towels
soaked in a Menagier recipe for handwashing water, made with sage, rosemary
and orange peel. The head table hand washing was done with pitcher and bowl
and proper hand towels. Very simple, yet added the importance of the
tradition of hand washing.

I have also used rosewater added to the above recipe  (in small quantities)
too much rosewater turns many people off. I also find the rosemary/citrus
combination astringent enough to do the job.

Here is the Menagier's recipe

This period recipe comes from the 14th C Manuscript, Menagier de Paris found
in Cariodoc’s Miscellany Collection

"To make water to wash the hands at table: Boil sage, then strain the water,
and let cool until it is luke-warm. Or instead you can use camomile or
marjoram, or rosemary and cook with the peel of an orange. And also laurel
leaves (bay leaves) are good for this."

Redacted recipe

1 Quart of  water (if at Pennsic, used bottled water)
10 fresh sage leaves, or a small handful of camomile,marjarmom or
rosemary(you can use tea bags here or cheese cloth, to make the straining
later a non issue)
1 peel of an orange (preferably a seville orange, eat the rest)
1 bay leaf

In pot, bring the water to boil and add the herbs and peel. Allow to cool
then strain. Bottle and keep (if you need to) for a few days.

When readying to use the water, heat gently or add hot water to warm it
slightly. Using a pitcher and basin, keeping  a towel over your shoulder,
allow the person to hold their hands over the bowl while you pour. They
should rub their hands together. When finished, offer them the towel. Where
there is no table to set down the bowl this best works with two people, one
to hold the bowl, the other to offer the towel and pour the water.

Hauviette