SC - Re: period Norse

Branwen branwen at ona-stella.com
Sun Mar 5 16:51:46 PST 2000

> Greetings again,
> I am posting to my own question. :-)   I am not sure lefse, even if it
> IS period, would work.  I have been thinking about it and realize I would
> have to cook it Thursday night - drive to Kansas on Friday and not be
> able to put it out for A&S display until Saturday.  I am just not sure
> how that would hold up, not having made it before

Lefse can withstand *anything* I think. :)

My family's Norweigian, as is my fiance's, and we have "lefse making days"
where we do nothing but make lefse... some gets eaten as we work, but most
gets frozen for holidays within the coming months. Lefse keeps probably
several weeks in the fridge (we have a wide assortment at the local
supermarket and I think the expiration dates are a few weeks in advance,
without using special preservatives), and is best cold - but then, they
didn't have refrigerators "back then" so that's probably not an issue! I'm
sure making it a couple of days in advance is fine.

Mind sending me your recipe? There are lots of different ones out there - my
family always uses a ton of potatoes, a little flour, and a little milk, and
my fiance's family uses more flour than potatoes, a little milk, and lots of
butter. Mine's better :)

A hint: *always* rice the potatoes (when they're warm, unless you wanna
break your ricer - if you're using one) and mix as little as possible - this
prevents the starches from getting all loosened up and making the lefse
chewy.

And if Norweigians had potatoes in period, it's *probably* period. Lefse
doesn't seem to be a new thing!

Branwen