SC - Feast Prices

Terri Spencer taracook at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 8 16:30:09 PST 2000

Here in the South Downs, we've held food budgets steady for the last
4-5 years at $5.00 per onboard person for feast. An additional $2.50
per person (not just onboard) for breakfasts (Sat & Sun), Friday night
travelers fare, Baronial/Royal/judges lunches, etc as determined by the
Event steward.  If overflow/sideboard is provided, it's usually around
$2-3 a head.

(Putting on Reeve hat): Walkins (who pay full gate price), daytrippers
and attendees above breakeven point (200+) are our main sources of
event profit.  Fundraisers are for guilds, Kingdom activities etc.
Food is not a profit center.  In fact, when feast comes in hundreds of
dollars under budget, I sometimes feel like we've cheated our (paying)
guests.  While this is usually the result of careful planning and
shopping on the behalf of the kitchen steward, I still wonder what
marvelous dishes or subtleties could have been prepared with those
funds.

BTW - at a planning meeting for Spring Crown List last week, we defined
the following additional event staff:

Hall steward (plan/organize feast hall)
Server steward (formerly head server)
Field steward (plan pavilion placement around list field)
Shield steward (make sure participant devices ready for shield tree)
Ball steward (coordinate Red Rose Ball - revel)
Sh.t steward (formerly privycrat)

Have we gone too far?  Naa...

Tara