SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #1976 - Gefillte Fish

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Mar 9 18:53:35 PST 2000

Devra at aol.com wrote:

> If you're leery of tasting the raw fish, you're smart!  That's why certain
> kinds of intestinal worms are known colloquially as 'gefilte fish worms'! You
> can get around this problem by sauteing a very small portion in a frying pan
> and tasting it.  (Of course, my Dad used to just taste the raw fish anyway.)

Another factor worth remembering is that seasonings are somewhat
temperature specific. Salt, pepper, and just about any other flavor
comes across differently between hot and cold foods, so the only way to
be absolutely sure, unless you've done this a bazillion (well, several)
times, is to cook some of the mixture one way or another.

> A second note: we could not get our broth to jell if we didn't include the
> fish skins in the pot.  We always made a bed of sliced onions, carrots, and
> celery to put onto a rack, and then dropped the fish patties onto them.  And
> let's not forget the best part, the cooked roe!

<puts on Homer Simpson voice> "Mmmmm, roe!"

Apparently it is mating season for the Atlantic porgy, a.k.a. the
Northern scup. I picked up maybe eight of these this morning at the
rather peculiar, impromptu outdoor produce/seafood market that erupts a
couple of blocks from my door on Thursday mornings, and it was my
painful duty to remove the roes from all of them. Unfortunately, my son,
home from school on some administrative ploy to get the teachers a day
off ;  ) , wasn't too pleased with the prospect of eating them, although
he did eat three or four small fish. So, I was compelled to consume the
roes lest they go to waste. They were particularly unpleasant lightly
coated with seasoned flour and fried with bacon... . The things we do
for our children.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy