SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #1976 - Gefillte Fish

Devra at aol.com Devra at aol.com
Thu Mar 9 16:21:56 PST 2000

If you're leery of tasting the raw fish, you're smart!  That's why certain
kinds of intestinal worms are known colloquially as 'gefilte fish worms'! You
can get around this problem by sauteing a very small portion in a frying pan
and tasting it.  (Of course, my Dad used to just taste the raw fish anyway.)

A second note: we could not get our broth to jell if we didn't include the
fish skins in the pot.  We always made a bed of sliced onions, carrots, and
celery to put onto a rack, and then dropped the fish patties onto them.  And
let's not forget the best part, the cooked roe!

Devra the Baker (whose family is from Russia and ALWAYS put sugar in)

Devra Langsam
www.poisonpenpress.com
devra at aol.com