SC - Grains of Paradise - question for Aussies

Gwynydd of Culloden Gwynydd_of_Culloden at freemail.com.au
Sun Mar 26 21:41:19 PST 2000

- ------------APFM25465350

Unto the Gathered Cooks does Gwynydd send the Following:

My most recent foray into the world of spices (which occurred just last week) shows that Grains of Paradise is still a prohibited import into Australia.  The spice merchant (Spice World) in one of the little side streets off the Elisabeth St Mall in Hobart tells me that he is trying to get the prohibition lifted but that he has had no success thus far.  In case anyone else out there is interested, this spice merchant does have galingal (called galangal) and cubebs, he also has relatively cheap saffron. (Lorix, I will be getting in touch to tell you his exact address soon!)

Gwynyyd of Culloden, Ynys Fawr, West Kingdom

At 2000-03-26 00:14:09.328000,
Lorix (lorix at trump.net.au) wrote:
> Good Fortune the List,
>
> this question is probably more directed to
> the Aussies on the list.
>
> I am based in Ynys Fawr (for our outflung
> cousins this is the Island off Australia in
> the bottom corner, mundanely known as
> Tasmania ;-)
>
> I had occasion to go spice shopping recently
> & found a _very_ nice spice shop, however
> when questioned on his ability to procure
> grains of paradise for me, he advised that
> they were a forbidden import into Australia &
> he was unable to obtain them.
>
> Now, about 8 years ago I know I purchased the
> spice from a market stall in Sydney for my
> Pelican, but I have not seen this spice
> since.
>
> I am looking to get hold of it again and am
> basically asking if this import restriction
> is true & has anyone else in Lochac been able
> to obtain this spice.  I know that online
> producers have been named to obtain hard to
> get spices, but if there is truth in this
> import restriction, then I may not be able to
> use them.
>
> Anyway, just though I'd ask,
> the ever-hopeful Lorix ;-)

> SCA-Cooks".

> =========

 Send Amazing Cards FREE by e-mail with
 FREE e-Gift and FREE decoration:
 www.mini-card.com/index.asp?referer=fm1
 Get your own free email account at
 http://www.freemail.com.au/ now part of the
 Webuser.com.au independent portal. Visit at…
 http://www.webuser.com.au
- ------------APFM25465350--