SC - don't cringe too bad....(Cod & Chips & McRendangs)

CBlackwill at aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Wed Mar 29 15:11:39 PST 2000

In a message dated 3/29/00 4:13:42 AM Pacific Standard Time, RichSCA at aol.com
writes:

> Cook'in in lard... reminds me of Elvis Presley's Mother's Cookbook. Her
>  famous recipe for making bacon started.... Heat in a large skillet a pound
> of
>  lard.... then add the slab bacon.

Let's not forget, though, that for "period" purposes, refined vegetable oils
(aside from olive and a few others) were almost unheard of in the Middle
ages.  Most people used lard for their cooking and baking (whether it be beef
fat, or that of chicken, duck, whatever).  Maybe someone can tell us when the
first wide-spread uses of "refined" vegetable oils appeared??  I'd like to
know, but don't believe it was prior to our period of interest...

Man cannot live on bread alone... he must have beer to soak it in.