Zabaglione - was, Re: SC - Book Review WAS Verjus

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Mar 10 11:03:01 PST 2000

Christina Nevin wrote:

> useful for tabledressing and selection of feastgear. It also is the first
> place I've found that mentions zabaglione as being in period, for which I am
> happy to forgive it much!

There's a recipe for zabaglione in the new Scully translation/edition of
the Morgan Library's Buhler MS 19...

"220. For four cups of Zabaglione get twelve fresh egg yolks, three
ounces of sugar, half an ounce of good cinnamon and a beaker of good
sweet wine; cook this until it is thick as a broth; then take it out and
set it on a plate in front of the boys. And if you like you can add a
bit of fresh butter."

Sorry, girls can't have any. This dish is only period for boys. It says
so right there.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy