SC - Lunch from Platina

Gretchen M Beck grm+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Mar 10 11:57:51 PST 2000

I'm doing a lunch tomorrow using recipes from Platina.  I'm posting the
menu and the originals now, and I'll post the redactions on Monday
(working out the ones I haven't done before tonight).  Anyone who wants
to play with them in the meantime, I'd be thrilled to have comparison
redactions.

Asparagus
Mushrooms in green salsa
Green salad
Ham with mustard and cherry sauce
Macaroni
Bread and spread (ok, that's not from Platina)
Fresh fruit

- --------------
On preparing Asparagus
There are two kinds of asparagus, the domestic and the wild...Boiled
asparagus is laid out on a platter and salt, oil and vinegar arre added.
 There are those who sprinkle it with herbs....There are those that cook
it in wine and it is even more effective in this way (effective =
combats flatulence and clear eyesight and gently soften the bowels)

On preparing a salad of several greens
A preparation of several greens is made with lettuce, bugloss, mint,
catmint, fennel, parsley, sisymbrium, origan, chervil, cicerbita which
doctors call Teraxicon, Plantain, Morrella, and several other fragrant
greens, well washed and pressed and put in a large dish, sprinkle them
with a good deal of salt and blend with oil, then pout vinegar over it
all when it has sat a little; it should be eaten and well chewed because
wild greens are touch.  This sort of salad needs a little more oil than
vinegar.  It is more suitable in winter than in summer, because it
requires much digestion and this is stronger in winter.

On Mushrooms and Fungi
...The redish ones are the safest.  after they turn white with their
stalk, they are not dangerous.  There is a third king\d which they call
Sow fungus, very convenient for poisoning.  This was the cause of the
death of Anneus Serenus, the prefect of Nero, and certain soldeirs.  It
may be cooked as pleases the greedy to say in some ways, with the third
part which clings to the earth, in its juice, first in water with white
bread, ahd then with pears or sprouts and twigs.  Some put in garlic,
which is thought to counteract the poison.  They are fried, after being
boiled and salted, in oil or liquamen, when they are fried, they are
suffused with green sauce which they call salsa, or in garlic sauce.
There are those who take off the skin or fill the upper sac with salt
and oil and cook them face up on the coals and eat them sprinkled with
pepper or cinnamon.  Even thorugh they are pleasing to the palate, in
whatever way you please to cook them, they are considered very bad.  For
they are difficult to digest and generate ruinous humours...

Reddish Mustard
Grind up mustard, raisins, white corn meal and toasted bread crumbs