SC - children's activities and cooking

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Mar 24 23:24:46 PST 2000

Lady Elisabeth de Calais asked:
> << http://www.florilegium.org  >>
> This has NOTHING, actually, to do with anything that has been discussed here
> this time around but I am in need of help.  I am a new MoC and want to get
> the children interested in all sorts of "period" things, mainly, food items,
> so that they may begin to enjoy "feasting" (besides serving it) thus allowing
> parents and surrounding adults to enjoy also!

You might want to check some of the files in the CHILDREN section of my
Florilegium (the URL given above) such as:
chd-ck-clsses-msg  (5K)  3/ 3/00    Children’s cooking classes.
child-books-msg   (17K)  5/27/99    Children’s Medieval and Ren. history books.
child-gam-msg     (60K) 11/22/99    Period and SCA children's games and
                                       activities.
p-cook-child-msg   (7K)  9/15/99    Period cooking for children.
toys-msg          (63K)  7/20/99    Period and SCA toys.
Toys-in-th-MA-art (26K)  8/30/99    "Toys in the Middle Ages" By Lady
Margritte
                                       of Ravenscroft.

> So... a wonderful person has
> offered their time and the ingredients to make hand pulled Taffy!  My
> question...is there anything to indicate whether or not this kind of candy
> might have been "period"?  Any and all help is appreciated.  Also any
> suggestions would be great also.

I think we have discussed this before, but I can't remember whether it is
period or not. Any information I have on this will be in this file in the
FOOD-SWEETS-DECORATED section:
candy-msg        (136K)  9/23/99    Period candy. Recipes. Candied fruit peels.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net