Even More OT - Re: SC - internet-OT-OOP

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Mar 30 21:18:31 PST 2000

CorwynWdwd at aol.com wrote:

> Gore supported technological advances related to the advancement of the
> Internet, but to say that HE took the initiative in creating the Internet is
> a bit much.

Perhaps, but it would depend on how one interprets initiative. For
example, I recently "took the initiative" in the creation of an A&S
showcase concept previously unknown in the East. Did I run the event as
autocrat? No. Did I do much of anything at the event other than attend
it, look at the exhibits, take notes and photographs, and introduce
people to each other when I thought it would be helpful? Hey, I didn't
even help with the cooking, that time around. What I did was to say, "I
think we should have an event like such-and-such. What do you think?" I
then pointed out the benefits to groups and individuals participating,
and essentially filibustered until people said, "Okay, let's try it,"
kept in touch with everybody involved in making it happen, offered to
find help for anybody that needed it in specific areas, and made sure
the Laurellate in the region was well represented. Essentially, I was
one of those handshaking politicians. So, no, I didn't do it, or even
make it happen. Do I think it would have happened without me? No. At
least not yet. I do think I was instrumental in pushing it over the top
of the hill until momentum could kick in.

It doesn't seem terribly inappropriate, under the circumstances, for
Gore to have said what he said, and I don't think he intended anybody to
believe that he was saying he invented the Internet (which is probably
why he didn't _say_ it!). In response to a question on the nature of his
contributions, he answered truthfully, if perhaps with ill-advised
enthusiasm.  As far as I can tell, most of the people fixated on this
quote are fixated with the headline, which was none of his doing.

Dubbayew, BTW, cannot sprout wings and fly, and anybody who says
otherwise is probably lying. If you agree with the preceding statement
you're an evil basher, and if you don't, you must believe he _can_
sprout wings, etc., and are therefore at least marginally insane, right?
And when did he stop beating his wife? Is all this logical? No, but it
demonstrates similar reasoning to the Gore debacle above.

Adamantius (who has decided Gore needs the campaign slogan, "May you
_not_ live in interesting times!")
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com