SC - Re: Memories

Decker, Margaret margaret at Health.State.OK.US
Mon May 1 12:05:05 PDT 2000

>        And do you remember the little orange pills you mixed with the
>margarine to get a yellow color? And what a mess the stuff was if it got
>away from you? Ah those were the days (I don't want to return). Margarite

     Ours were one-pound sealed bags of margarine with a knob that stuck out of
one side with a liquid colorant in it.  You pressed on it to break it (I guess
the inside of the button was thinner than the outside), then kneaded the color
into the margarine.  This was the 50s rather than the 40s, but perhaps they were
on the market longer in dairy country (I grew up in Minnesota).

Sandra Kisner
sjk3 at cornell.edu