SC - RE: The top 10 icks list

CBlackwill@aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Tue May 2 01:28:09 PDT 2000

Thought you'd be interested in this

We (the Routiers) did a display at the Australian National Maritime Museum
last weekend in honour of the Batavia reconstruction (1626, Amsterdam).

We had 8 pike and 9 muskets, ensign, drummer, captain, corporal in the
block, with another 8 or so women and a couple of children. We did three
drill demos through the day, two Playford Dancing sets (complete with live
music from the Early Music Consort), and two fencing (de Gheyn).

Afterwards, we got to explore the boat by ourselves, and had drinks with the
crew (Heiniken, naturally!), who are a nice bunch. They'd fired up the oven
in
the Batavia kitchen for the first time EVER that day. I didn't get down to
see it, because my legs were so sore from standing on concrete all day I
couldn't face the steps :-(. Anyway, our Captain asked them if they wanted
to have a 17th century meal cooked on board for them, to which they readily
agreed. So sometime before half-way through June (because some of the crew
are returning home) we're going to have a feast (my thoughts are to do it
for a farewell officer's meal - just before the journey from Amsterdam.

The Routier cooks are VERY impressed - the first people to be cooking 17th
century food aboard the reconstructed Batavia!

Can't wait! Now we've just got to do a menu..

Glenda.