SC - Period Butter churn (was Re: memories)

CBlackwill@aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Tue May 2 13:17:23 PDT 2000

Balthazar wrote:

>If I'm not mistaken, the greeks used to seal Amhorae with clay corks, and
>then waterproof them with either wax or pitch.  I have made several sizes of
>clay corks for my brewing bottles out of Sculpey clay, which works well
>(aside from the fact that it is not meant to be used with comestibles...)

I seem to remember doing a bit of research on this when I was
looking into typical closures used for containers that might
have held ointments in period. One of the books I do remember
reading that may have additional information in it, secondary
reference type only, is:

Yarwood, Doreen. The British Kitchen: Housewifery Since
Roman Times. Batsford. 1981.

Someone may want to check on that publishing info, though,
because I'm going on what's scribbled on the back of a lunch
napkin in my desk drawer rather than the Library of Congress
(my connex to it is down right now).

A good book in general related to our cooking stuff here,
but only about the first half of it is useful. Tons of very
interesting information, though, both in period and out.

Jasmine
Iasmin de Cordoba