SC - odor removal

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Wed May 3 06:55:09 PDT 2000

- ----Original Message Follows----
From: "kylie walker" <kyliewalker at hotmail.com>

<snip>

What surprised me was that the journalist likens grains of paradise to
coriander (among other things). Since coriander is one of the few foodstuffs
I hate, and probably the only one I actually refuse to eat, I'm wondering
just how much like coriander other people think grains of paradise taste?

<snip>

Well, I think grains of paradise taste like peppery allspice. I want to do a
class or experiment one day, lining up all the strong (grain/nut)spices and
start from the sweet and go to the pepper grains...to see the taste
evolve...

I have noted as I poke into various food Encyclopedias in the bookstores,
that none list "grains of paradise" as a spice (even Larousse's
Gastronomique, which has othher errors, too. I think it is an interesting
phenomenon, especially as other medieval or renaissance "cooking practices"
are often mentioned in passing...

Caitlin of Enniskillen