SC - Concerning: Book of Keruynge

catwho@bellsouth.net catwho at bellsouth.net
Thu May 4 11:51:44 PDT 2000

Thanks for your good information and thoughts.  My thinking in the seed
only hypothesis was that the seeds would 'simulate' strawberry seeds.
Also, I have a reference called _Medieval Trade in the Mediterranean
World_ that gives a cargo manifest for a ship landing in Naples that has
pomegranates from Spain.  the year was late 1400's . . . maybe 1460's.
That would suggest that pomegranates were available fresh in Southern
Europe as well as imports.  Just more information to cloud the issue
:o)<<

I hadn't thought about the plain seed simulating the white pips of the
strawberries, but they would.  I only thought of the red colors.

I know that pomegranates were grown around the Mediterranean, but thought
the ripening times might be a bit different.  There really isn't much
latitudinal difference between southern Italy and north Africa, though.
This makes me wonder if they had developed 'early' and 'late' varieties,
rather like the long growing season of oranges in Florida.  The first
ripenings of oranges come in Nov., I believe, and the last disappear
around April.  So, if they preserved the pomegranates with oil or wax, or
the pomegranates preserved themselves, you'd have almost year around
availability.

Ras mentioned dried seeds.  I've never seen dried ones, and didn't know
there were any.  What do the dried ones look like, taste like, cook like?

Regards,
Allison,     allilyn at juno.com