An Test was Re: SC - Truck Crops

CBlackwill@aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Sun May 7 21:07:50 PDT 2000

In a message dated 5/7/00 7:03:22 AM Pacific Daylight Time, harper at idt.net
writes:

>  surprising number of people stumbled over easy things like corn (I
>  though most Americans would remember the grade-school stories about
>  the Indians teaching the settlers to plant corn).

I think most Americans remember that story (if they went to school at all),
but I think they also may have considered that Columbus discovered America in
1492, and considered it possible that corn (maize) could have been in
widespread use in Europe by the end of the middle ages (after all, who could
resist such a fine, sweet and delicious American product??).  After all, the
wreckage of a Trireme was discovered off the coast of South America (though
it is speculated, and I believe, that this was a hoax).  With misinformation
like this floating around, it is easy to believe that trade between Europe
and Distant lands was commonplace (which it was, though not to the extent
most people believe)

Balthazar of Blackmoor

Words are Trains for moving past what really has no Name.