SC - Americans and corn (was: Food guessing game)

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Sun May 7 21:27:39 PDT 2000

> Thank you.  I know that weighing is the more accurate way to measure,
> but I had often seen 4 cups = 1 pound as the rule-of-thumb conversion
> for flour.  I will have to try the recipe again, using my scale.
>

> Lady Brighid ni Chiarain

If the flour is sifted into a cup measure, it will weigh approximately 4
ounces.  Simply scooping up a cup of flour can weigh as much as 6 ounces.
Elizabeth David gives the standard British weight of a cup of flour as 5
ounces.

The proportions between liquid, semi-liquid and solid ingredients in the
cider cake recipe are very tight, so greater precision is required.

Bear