SC - Phaseolus recipes

Mon May 8 21:19:26 PDT 2000

In a message dated 5/8/00 7:18:08 AM Pacific Daylight Time, LrdRas at aol.com
writes:

> More accurately Columbus is credited with discovering America. He actually
>  found a group of islands in the area of the Atlantic south of the American
>  continent which were inhabited by the descendants of the people who
>  discovered it centuries before. He never set foot on the American
continent,

>  SFAIK.

Didn't Columbus make numerous (two or three) voyages to the New World?
Wasn't one of these trips to the actual continent?  I could be wrong, but
this seems familiar.

 Several centuries before the Vikings had found Newfoundland and
>  navigated the St. Lawrence. Again even they found the descendants of those
>  who actually discovered it.
>
>  What Columbus did was open up the New World to European domination and set
>  off a series of events which resulted in the complete destruction of
several

>  highly advanced preexisting cultures. Hardly, a thing to be glorified for,
>  IMO.

Actually, Columbus had very little to do with the annihilation of the
indigent populations of the New World, and it is unfair to portray him in
that light.  His successors were the villians.  Credit where it's due...

Balthazar of Blackmoor

Words are Trains for moving past what really has no Name.