SC - Unhistoric things we serve WAS:Shepherds Pie

DeeWolff@aol.com DeeWolff at aol.com
Tue May 9 09:47:50 PDT 2000

ekoogler at chesapeake.net writes:

> Unless I'm really out in left field (which is, of course, always possible),
> this is the same Islamic cookery book that Duke Cariadoc included in his
> collection of cookery books....

    No, he doesn't actually include the text of the book in his collection.
He mentions it, but doesn't include it.

    I have a problem with Cariadoc anyway.  He has set himself up as an
expert in terms of "all things arabic", but he is very, very selective.  If
he doesn't like something, or if it is not a part of his very narrow view of
what it means to be arabic (which, if I remember correctly, should be read as
"what it means to be Moorish"), then not only is it not period, its simply
not realistic and/or true.
    When we pointed out that the Islamic world was (and remains) bigger than
the areas of Morocco and Algeria that he concentrates on, we were told we
were mistaken, than we were using non-period sources, or that we were just
plain wrong.
He is thus hardly the expert he sets himself up to be.

    Or let me be more precise.  About the Moors and all things Moorish, yes
he is an expert.  About the greater, larger world of period Islam, he is far
from it, mainly because, unfortunately, he chooses to ignore anything outside
of his own interests.

    (A view which is common in society as a whole, unfortunately.)

    Sayyid Suleyman al Rashid ibn Beyazid
    Proud Ottoman Turk.