SC - A Redaction Challenge

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Tue May 9 09:38:51 PDT 2000

I thought I'd post this recipe from Platina, so we can start working towards
more redactions of period recipes- I know several of you are a bit nervous
about trying your own redactions, and perhaps this will give you a chance to
play with your food, and learn, too ;-)

The first section is the Latin, for those who might like to try their own
translations- the second is from the Milham translation, and the third
section will include a couple of notes which you'll need if you don't happen
to have a copy of this book.

Here goes:

################################

Milham Platina, Book VIII, # 28

Herbaceum Maiale

Tantundem casei quantum in primo et secundo proposui concidito, et tundito.
Tunso blitae (1) succum, amaraci parum, salviae plusculum, mentae minimum,
petroselini plurimum. <Ubi> (2) tunsa in mortorio sint omnia, XV aut XVI
albamenta ovorum diffreacta, selibram liquaminis aut butyri recentis addito.
Sunt qui et folia aliquot petroselini ac amaraci concisa non tunsa, selibram
gingiberis albi, sacchari uncias octo indant. Haec omnia simul mixta in
ollam aut patellam bene unctam imposita in carbonibus procul flamma ne fumam
concipiant miscendo continuo donec spissentur efferveant facito. Ubi prope
cocturam fuerint in aliam patellam subcrustulatem transferto, testuque
operito donec omnia leni igne coquantur. Cocta et in patinum translata
saccharo optimo et aqua rosacea suffundes. Hoc pulmentum quanto viridius
tanto melius et gratius. Hoc caveat Philenus Archigallus: (3) tarde enim
concoquitur, oculos hebetat, oppilationed facit, calculum generat.

#################################

Herb Pie for May(4)

Cut up and pound as much cheese as I suggested for the first and second pies
(5). To this, when it is pounded, add juice of chard, a little marjoram, a
little more sage, a bit of mint, and more parsley. When all this has been
pounded in a mortar, add 15 or 16 beaten egg whites and half a pound of fat
or fresh butter. some also put in some leaves of parsley and marjoram, cut
but not pounded, a half pound of white ginger and eight ounces of sugar.
When all these are mixed together and put in a pot or well-greased pan,,
make them boil on coals far from flame so they do not absorb smoke, mixing
constantly until they become thick. When they are almost cooked, transfer to
another pot with an undercrust and cover with an earthen pot lid until
everything is cooked on a gentle fire. When they are cooked and transferred
to a dish, cover with the best sugar and rose water. This dish is as much
greener as it is better and more pleasing. Let Philenus Archigallus (3)
beware of this, for it digests slowly, dulls the eyes, and makes stone.

###################################

(1) blete, [by]
(2) ubi [Milham], where, a word added by Milham to make it more
comprehensible. [Phlip]
(3) A friend of Platina's [Phlip]
(4) Martino 4 [Per fare una herbolate del mese do maio]
(5) Given in the aforementioned translations as a pound and a half of fresh
cheese, rather than aged- the exact phrase is {Libram ac semissem optimi
casei recentis praesertim miniutim concisam bene tundito} [Phlip]

Phlip

Nolo disputare, volo somniare et contendere, et iterum somniare.

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio

"All things are poisons.  It is simply the dose that distinguishes between a
poison and a remedy." -Paracelsus

"Oats -- a grain which in England sustains the horses, and in
Scotland, the men." -- Johnson

"It was pleasant to me to find that 'oats,' the 'food of horses,' were
so much used as the food of the people in Johnson's own town." --
Boswell

"And where will you find such horses, and such men?" -- Anonymous