SC - Unhistoric things we serve WAS:Shepherds Pie

Tue May 9 20:31:51 PDT 2000

Khadijah wrote:
>     I must beg the forgiveness of this list, but I have been confronted too
>many times by many people in our organization who despise anything not
>blatantly western european.  I wish that I could say this was confined to
>certain areas, or certain groups.
>
>     However, my question was predicated by personal and deragatory missives
>that I have received since joining this list from its members.

Hey, doood, yer takin' stuff waaaaay too personally - perhaps due to
your experience of having people in your kingdom/principality/etc.
criticizing your interests to your face.

We've got all sorts here on this list, including a healthy smattering
of Near Easterners, and including His Grace Cariadoc, who has much to
contribute on Near Eastern food, not all of which is "Moorish", or
more correctly, Maghribi or Andalusian (since the word "Moor" has
such variable meanings within the time period covered by the SCA).
After all, he has made al-Baghdadi more readily available to us, and
Baghdad ain't in the former Roman province known as Mauritania :-)

Look, we get all hot under the chef's apron on this list every once
in a while, because we have so many cooks here with experience and
with areas of specialty. And we squabble and argue some of the time.
But most of the time we just get excited sharing recipes and
experiences cooking more-or-less historically accurate food, and, oh
my! helping each other out.

I've been in the SCA one year. Since i have a Maghribi/Andalusian
persona, I began cooking modern ethnic Maghribi food (and knowing
that was what i was doing). I am now generally preparing historical
Near Eastern food. I continue to experiment and learn, and this list
is an invaluable resource.

Of course, if anyone makes bald, flat statements regarding certain
foods or methods of preparation, they'll get challenged. And i think
that's a *good* thing. Means one has to do one's research, one can't
just be winging it on rumor and assumptions.

And if someone makes a new statement regarding an uncorroborated bit
of information, naturally we want authentication and documentation.
We are, for the most part, scholars as well as cooks.

But we are also a personable lot. We care about each other and do
post personal messages on occasion. We post questions about and
recipes for "out-of-period" foods. We even make jokes!

Naturally, the primary *focus* of this list is historically accurate
food, food prep, and food service, but there's room for other stuff
here.

And if things get too hot, you can always run for The Rock (tm) - uh,
now, who owns that trademark? margali?

Anahita Gauri al-shazhiyya bint-al-Karim al-hakim al-Fassi

Just strolling around the outside of the Cathedral
enjoying the balmy spring weather
and whistling and twiddling her thumbs