SC - SC- Turkeys again, Again!

Nanna Rognvaldardottir nanna at idunn.is
Wed May 10 08:31:31 PDT 2000

In a message dated 5/9/2000 4:06:07 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
RButler96 at aol.com writes:

<< I must ask this list what is considered European...

     If you consider Hungary european, then you must certainly consider the
 Ottoman empire to be at least Eastern European.  If no other reason than the
 Turks ruled this land for several hundreds of years. >>

As the resident Magyar I have to pipe in here. . .yes Hungary can be
considered part of Europe for this forum.   And yes the Ottoman Turks did
rule the area for many years, but for the time frame many of us are looking
at (pre-1600), they had only ruled that region for under 100 years. (73 to be
exact since the Turks defeated the Hungarian army at the Battle of Mohacs in
1527.)   The Turks may have ruled the Balkans and most of Hungary, but I
would never consider them Eastern European.  They are most defintely a
Central Asian group that invaded and destroyed the remains of the Byzantine
Empire and became a powerful player.

Fekete Noemi
wandering off. . .not to the rock but back down to that little circular house
she lives in by the river. . .