SC - Suleyman's Manifesto

Christi Rigby crigby at uswest.net
Wed May 10 08:33:58 PDT 2000

I give an onboard estimate that I can cook for (based upon the previous
history of the event. The number is low if it is a new event) and the hall
can seat with extra room. We give a cut off date for reservation as 2 weeks
before the event. Then, 2 weeks before the event I get the actual numbers
(the reservationist isn't supposed to exceed my limits, but can take a
waiting list). With those numbers, i typically cook for about 20 percent
*more* to accomodate at-the-door reservations(if the hall can seat them)
PLUS one dish of each item for the kitchen and one for servers with dropsy
(overkill, I know, but I am paraniod). The kitchen usually doesn't eat all
of their allotment or all of the extra dish, but it's good to have on hand
when High table says "Is there any more cheese goo"? Lately we don't have
much left over for at-the-door, and have to publish it on the kingdom
listserve so we don't get angry attendees. Is it possible to have a surfeit
of good cooks?

We do hold one event where there is a very strict limit to the onboard due
to facilities. We never deviate from that number. It would be suicide. There
are NO kitchen facilities.

I do nearly all my buying between 1 week and 1 day ahead of the event from
restaurant supply houses. Cheap! Cheap! Order ahead and it's even cheaper.
Pay cash, and they worship you.

For pre-cook items, I always make extra "just in case" we expand on-board.
That's usually stuff that is less expensive, so the risk is minimal.

Aoife
    For those of you who have previously done feasts, how many do you
typically prepare for?  Specifically, I refer to being given a budget, for a
certain number of people.  Do you stay at that number (100 for a starting
point), or do you prepare for 110 just in case?

    I would like to know how others handle this.  I was dealing with a
situation last weekend where feast was supposed to be for 75 (local event),
and at a last minute request was for 85.  If this common?

    Khadijah