SC - European Food

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed May 10 10:41:51 PDT 2000

I believe it was Murkial who wrote:

>  I have never, personally, seen any scholar say, with conviction, why the "bog
>  people" were found in the condition they were.  There is rumor and
>  speculation (and educated guesses), but no concrete proof that these people
>  were sacrificed.  If you have some, I would certainly love to see it.

And subsequently Brandu responded with:

>A good book on the subject, (which I have a copy of):
>
>People of the Wetlands : Bogs, Bodies and Lake-Dwellers (Ancient
>Peoples and Places)
>by Bryony Coles, J. M. Coles

I would also suggest the rather well-written book:

    Ross, Ann and Robins, Don. The Life and Death of a Druid Prince:
    The Story of Lindow Man, an Archaeological Sensation.

Lest anyone think this is not food related, let me assure
you that in all its grizzly exhumation details, it more
than measures up to topic concerning food. The authors
use some very convincing arguments based not only on the
condition of the body (including clothing) but also on the
contents of the stomach to argue convincingly that people
were sacrificed (in this case willingly).

Jasmine
Iasmin de Cordoba