SC - Unhistoric things we serve WAS:Shepherds Pie

Bronwynmgn@aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Wed May 10 14:58:29 PDT 2000

On Wed, 10 May 2000, Dana Huffman wrote:

> Since this has come up, I thought it might be the time for
> me to offer to help people translate Spanish stuff.  My
> cooking knowledge is marginal, but my Spanish is reasonably
> good (I got through Don Quixote OK, so I think I could
> handle at least the later stuff...).  Could be fun.
>
> Dana Huffman/Ximena la Letrada

Hmmmm... may I offer you a suggestion for a project, then?  As I said in
an earlier post, the _Manual de Mugeres_ contains 29 recipes for foods and
confections.  Most of them are reasonably short, and written in 16th
century Spanish without too many spelling and vocabulary oddities.  It is
available online, so you wouldn't have to go to any trouble to locate it.
http://www.cervantesvirtual.com/servlet/SirveObras/336388722157844177247451/

If you would care to translate some (or all) of these 29 recipes, the
collection could then be be placed on the web (perhaps in the
Florilegium?) and be made available to everyone.  I have considered
undertaking the project, but I'm trying to get my translation of de Nola
done, and shouldn't go off on a tangent.  However, I'd be glad to give you
a hand with any cooking terminology that you weren't sure of.

What do you think?

Brighid ni Chiarain
harper at idt.net