SC - Mackerel

Michael Newton melcnewt at netins.net
Wed May 10 15:03:11 PDT 2000

In a message dated 5/9/2000 12:19:57 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
betpulib at ptdprolog.net writes:

<< At any rate, I have eaten, recently, at events:

 Peanut butter and Jelly (pre-sliced wonderbread---that's factory made white
 bread to you non US folks)
 Cheddarella cheese (marbeled cheese made from cheddar and mozzarella)
 Scones (baking powder not being historic to our period)
 Chocolate covered Strawberries and other fruit (for which the server is
 forgiven)
 Soups/stews made with pre-packaged veggies including green peppers,
 pimento, corn (maize)
 Hot dogs with buns, catsup
 Steak and Baked potatoes
 Crudites including broccoli, cauliflower, green pepper strips >>

You have got to be kidding.  The only one of those I have ever encountered
was the crudites, and that was served some years ago at a feast in Meridies,
along with some sort of fish chowder which included corn and potatoes, and a
"meat pie" which was essentially sloppy Joe or hamburger barbecue with
cinnamon and raisins added.
OK, the marbled cheese is not uncommon either.
I've also had watermelon (which I believe is period to the Middle East).
I find the worst culprit is usually breakfast, if it is served.  Usually it
is modern egg dishes or modern French toast or pancakes, and often includes
storebought donuts and Danish.

Brangwayna Morgan
PS, OK, I did make scones and scotch eggs for an event breakfast a few years
ago.  But my scones are almost shortbread, and not too far from the "Fine
Cakes" recipe in Digby...