SC - Estimating Crowds

Bronwynmgn@aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Wed May 10 16:33:43 PDT 2000

In a message dated 5/9/2000 10:12:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Elysant at aol.com writes:

<< I think that there are a lot of pre-Christian belief systems still
operating
 - as ever.  Even if the people were officially "Christianized" >>

Yes - but do people know *why* the church is surrounded by yew trees? (In
detail; not just "for protection".  What does it protect against?  How does
it protect? etc.)   Do they know *why* the ring of standing stones is left?
Or is it  just because "it's always done that way"?  The example people love
to give is the continuation of pagan traditions in the Christmas celebration
- - the tree, the Yule log, etc.  But I would bet you only a few people who
participate in these traditions a)know that they are from an older religion,
and b)consciously do them in order to worship in that older religion.  The
vast majority of people do them because "everybody does them" or because
"that's how my family has always done it".  Doing something that happens to
be a pagan worship practice , but not knowing it's a pagan worship practice
or intending it to be one, isn't really worshipping in a pagan manner, is it?
 Doesn't worshipping require some intent to do so, and some belief in the
ritual you use?

I guess my point is that survival of the physical aspect of the tradition
does not mean that the reason for the tradition has survived.

Brangwayna Morgan