SC -Vikings on Nova

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Thu May 11 06:51:36 PDT 2000

Sounds great!!

I don't think they went to all those places, but believe they may have gone to
L'Anse aux Meadows.  I do know that the Longship Company (based in Maryland) has
built a completely accurate reconstruction of a longship, and they have been
invited to the celebration this summer (1000th anniversary of Viking contact in
the Americas) that I believe is taking place near the St. Lawrence river.  These
guys are really serious about what they do.  The lady has completely recreated
several Viking garments, with all accessories, including dying much of the
fabric herself, and handsewing everything.  She even managed to construct a
copper and brass needlecase!  She displayed one outfit at Pennsic last year,
along with a full notebook of documentation that included overlays to show how
the garments and accessories all went together.  The authoress of one of her
major sources was there, saw her work and was so impressed that she invited the
couple down to her camp to help her construct a period warp-weighted loom!

thanks for the suggestions...I'll look into it!

Kiri