SC -biscotti

Morgana Abbey morgana.abbey at juno.com
Fri May 12 04:16:48 PDT 2000

lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> And speaking of blood:
>
> I had a boyfriend who was a modern musician, back in the '70's, and
> he and his other musician friends improvised during a performance art
> piece - among other things, the artist tied up a naked woman and
> poured gallons of blood on her while she screamed (i don't know if
> her screams were part of the performance or if she was truly
> terrified). I believe the artist got the stuff from a slaughter
> house, but i don't know if it was "edible".
>
> Now that i have been assured that blood was indeed used in cooking
> "in period" (not that i doubted it, but i was looking for info - and
> thanks for all the recipes and descriptions), i now inquire as to
> where one might find it... Any ideas, other than haunting slaughter
> houses?
>
> Anahita

Well, the thing to do is to get somebody else to haunt the
slaughterhouse _for_ you. You can often order blood in pint or quart
containers, either fresh or frozen, from your local butcher (but maybe
not the guy in the supermarket). Really large Asian markets will
sometimes carry it, again, fresh or frozen, usually pork or duck blood,
but occasionally beef.

I've also seen cooked blood, in reddish-brown cakes like tofu, in Asian
markets as recently as last night.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy