SC - Cherries

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat May 13 14:26:49 PDT 2000

Was asked:

>>Question 2 is, what biographical
>>information is there about Marguerite d'Angouleme?
>
>Well, to the best of my knowledge, she was a princess of
>Navarre, so I'd say there was a hell of a lot of biographical
>information available about her. MRLIAH, however. :) A
>quick search of the web reveals that there are quite a few
>publications out regarding her correspondence (some even
>translated into English).

If she was who I think she was she was the grandmother of White Plumed
Henri, the fellow who reportedly said "Well I guess Paris is worth a Mass."
He converted and become King of France.  She wrote "The Heptameron" a
classic frame tale.  Classic French literature,  great details for persona
as about a third to half of the stories are thinly veiled actual events.
Years ago I had an English translation which identified, as well as could be
done from other documents, which were true events and who the persons were.
As has been the case in the past I lent it to someone and it was never
returned.  I don't lend books any more but go with people to have copies
made.  There is a Penguin edition available in English translation, I know
this because I now own a copy.   I have been told that no translation does
it justice as much of the word play just doesn't translate well.   Perhaps I
shall learn French someday and find out.

Daniel Raoul