SC - Re: re/ beaten bisuits

Donna Ford evfemia at mail.com
Sat May 13 15:04:59 PDT 2000

Greetings,

  I made a lovely pink mess.  No really.  It tasted wonderful.  It was a cabbage
stew where I chose to use purple cabbage rather than normal cabbage.  I had two
odd things happen and maybe people can figure out just what I did cause I can't.

1.  I added vinegar to the stew to sharpen the flavor.  This idea came to me
because of all of the discussion on the overuse of vinegar by Hieatt (?).  The
vinegar taste kept going away and coming back again.  First there was a very
strong vinegar flavor, then no vinegar flavor, then some vinegar flavor, and
then it was gone again, after which it was quite strongly tasting of vinegar.
How'd I do that?  Could the keeping the stew on low temp for 40 hours have
something to do with this?

2.  The color.  Pink.  Or purple.  Or brown.  Or bright purple.  It kept
changing.  This didn't seem to have much to do with the changing strength of the
vinegar flavor but I wasn't keeping tabs.  It seemed to mostly be getting
darkerbrown as time went on but then abruptly went back to a lovely shade of
purple and stayed that way.

Ta,
- -M