SC - Olla podrida

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat May 13 23:20:49 PDT 2000

I do remember eating it first in Virginia, we had a black cook.  Maybe
Beatrice introduced it into family legend.  I don't remember any chicken
and waffle houses, this was definately a home-made meal.  You just take
the left-over roast chicken and tear it up in the gravy, I think.

After reading Etain's post, maybe Berneice didn't teach Mother--we are
native Pennsylvanians.  But, in the south, the entire church dessert
table menu would consist of Chess Pie.  Everybody had their own family
favorite.  No, Ras, I no longer have the recipes.

>>If anyone has a particular favorite recipe for this, could you pass it
along
privately?  What kind of gravy?  Cream?  Veloute Sauce?  Are there
vegetables
in it, etc...?<<

You professional, you.  Take the pan drippings/stewing broth (a little
stewing broth is better than water if you use pan drippings) [but the
stewing broth is richer if you have pan drippings], let it cool to warm,
stir in a little flour.  Turn up the heat, bring to boil, turn to lowest
simmer.  Let it cook while you tear up your cooked chicken.  If you did
stew the chicken, you may take the carrot, celery stalk, and onion, salt
them, and eat.  You are the cook.  You do not have to share legitimate
'kitchen pickings'.  And, you do not want these left in, chopped in, or
pureed in, the gravy.  'Cause I said so, that's why.  When the gravy is
thick enough, throw in the chicken, warm thoroughly while making the
waffles.

Regards,
Allison,     allilyn at juno.com